Saturday 2 February 2019

The day before the York Show.

Well I'm sat here looking at a beautiful wintery scene, and hoping I can clear all my drive before tomorrow when John and I are heading down to the York show. Can I say a big thank you to everyone who sent a kind comment to my last post.  They weren't necessary, honestly although it was very nice to feel the love as it were, I keep saying the mantra that dying is part of life, but it doesnt make it any easier.
I think I have just about recovered from two wonderful Armarti ancient games that John had set up on Thursday. I had forgotten just how good these rules are and how tense are the games they create. Both games went down to the wire, one a close win for my Carthaginians against Republican Romans, the second a very bloody draw with Alexander [me?] against Indians. Two wonderful games.Thanks John...
 I am slowly getting back into my painting although it has been very eclectic. Firstly some Royalist dismounted dragoons, these are lovely figures and were a pleasure to paint.This time I filled the bases with some model rocks I picked up off E Bay. I have made a slight deviation from only using Hinchliffe figures for my two ECW armies and again prompted by John I bought some Warrior figures as a test.It is only a small range but apart from being cheap they are also very charming and fit in nicely with my Hinchliffe. Great postal service as well. I knew they were good but was still very impressed with them, well done.





 I follow the Olicana blog. James Roach is a wonderful painter and has some top class wargames to boot. He gave me the heads up that Rendra were selling ridge tents for a rock bottom price. I got some and then saw they had a camp scene using some Perry ACW figures, well it would have been rude not to have some. 



Games Workshop have re discovered what made them so successful and returned to publishing amongst other things. Their Conquest magazine with regular goodies in it, has been a great way to pick up the odd figure for my Grandson who I hope one day will 'discover' real wargaming and possibly want some of my burgeoning collection. So I have been painting up some green monstrosities for him. Not up to Golden Demon standard but still pretty in a perverse way. 






I will be very honest I enjoy the challenge of painting them, they clear my painting palate as it were, GW. have some very talented sculptors and Im pleased they are on the up again, it has to be good news for wargaming in general. So heres hoping there is no more snow before the trip down to the York show. Last year was stressful simply because of numbers, but it still is a great show and I hope the weather holds off. I hope you will stop for a chat as I trundle around the event, there's nothing like a talk about wargaming and the hobby in general. 





6 comments:

  1. I’m taking a more pragmatic view of York this year. We love the city and usually do an overnighter out of it, but the last two years I have just found it too packed to move around and each time, having a bad back flare-up, made standing in trader queues too much, plus there is alot more emphasis on trade than tables, so this really is an ‘on your feet’ show. This time around, the old back is once again in hate mode and so that, combined with the experience of the last two years and the chance of disruptive journeying with the snow, means I am giving it a miss and have spent the money that I would have used on travel, entry and a pit stop for breakfast, in a local hobby shop instead. Of course I bought the wrong stuff, shiny stuff instead of what I need ...... so just the same as a wargame show really :-)

    I love the shows, but there are a couple of other good shows due in the next few weeks, so I expect my loss of York will be shortly soothed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know wher you are coming from Norm. I have posted my view of the York show which may help you a little.

      Delete
  2. Great to see the Warrior figures 'in the flesh' so to speak. Over the years, I wrote away to the company for many catalogs, and always meant to order so samples to see what the figures actually looked like since this was in the days before websites, and Warrior, like many others, included no illustrations of the figures in its catalogs. Napoleonic flags, yes, but not the REALLY important part. Anyway, neat to see them here. Had I bitten the bullet and had enough pocket money at the time to order enough for a small army, I think I would have been pleased.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out their site Stokes, it does have some decent images. Sadly it doesnt contain their excellent AWI figures which contain some great figures. I can recommend their Hessian figures. They are bigger and chunkier than others from their other ranges.

      Delete
  3. GW figures look great! I've got a load of warrior landsknechts,I think they were £40 for 100 figures and they do a nice Italian wars bombard ,I used some of their Pikemen to bulk out some old glory Spanish pike with a few Perry headswaps, worked for me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, I used to have a lot of their Landsknect arqubusiers in my earlier armies.They were very nice, but small when compared to my Connoisseur figures.Still very very nice.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating