Saturday 2 February 2019

Miniature Wargames 29.

One of the best things about wargaming is the people you meet who not only share your love of toy soldiers and gaming but also turn out to be great people in their own right. One such person, Jason Williams is a wargamer/collector of all things Peter Gilder who out of the blue several years ago sent me some Wargames Holiday Centre renaissance figures he had 'spare' for my growing Italian Wars armies.We have remained in irregular contact since, bumping into each other at the odd wargames show.
Last week I won an auction of six causality bases that contained a couple of figures I recognised as having belonged to Peter Gilder.
I had to have them  [ you know how things are concerning all things Gilder.]
When they arrived, they had actually been sold by Jason who very kindly included a 'spare' standard that was beautiful in its own right. I knew the banner immediately and searched through my Miniature Wargames magazine collection to find it. The image was in Miniature Wargames 29,
 [ see below.]

I re based the figures to use as eye candy in my Italian War games. The two gendarmes clearly from the WHC I intend to use in my Gilder gendarme unit. 
 The figures are attributed to John Blanche who was a wonderful painter who painted for Citadel and the early Games Workshop company.

 The standard I fitted to the mounted Bill Lamming conversion. The quality of the paint work on the standard after 35 years is still amazing. Thank you again Jason for the opportunity to possess some wargaming history.











16 comments:

  1. Wonderful pieces of wargaming history to have in your collection.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning. Those are certainly John Blanche flags (lots of squiggly sun rays and checkers are his hallmark). Great addition to the collection and I'm not jealous at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way... I remember that picture well and always wondered what make the marching Arquebusiers were. They look like Minifigs, but I have never been able to find out what code they are. Any ideas?
    cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      they are definitely Mini figs. In fact I found some in a box of old figures I bought on Sunday at York.Unfortunately there are no numbers on the base of the figures.There were also some arquebusiers firing.If you want them you can have them.I think they are meant to be Spanish.

      Delete
    2. Mike, I have found some letters! The figure is AZC4 which just might be the Mini Figs Aztec range, although I could stand corrected.

      Delete
  4. That’s one hell of an addition Robbie. See you in York tomorrow. Colin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking flags and command stands!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic figures in lovely pieces of wargaming history.
    I think that we all hope that, when the time comes, our collections will go to someone who really appreciates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I echo that sentiment James, especially when you see the effort that has been taken to paint the flags and figures.

      Delete
  7. Nice story, great figures. There are plenty of good people in our hobby and your right to highlight them Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive been lucky meeting some great wargamers over the years. Not bad for a group of warmongers.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating