Monday 5 August 2019

Mini Figs,the Marmite effect.

Sometimes it feels that my ECW project has been like painting the Forth Bridge and never seems to have an end. I dont help this feeling by adding to the unpainted pile as figure buying opportunities arise. I love a bargain and cannot help myself if I can get some figures at a decent and fair price.
   A fellow blogger, David Crook is responsible for the latest additions to the pile of metal as he attempts to sell off a very large collection of unpainted metal belonging to a wargamer who is now no longer with us. I would never have considered using Mini Figs for the project once. I think it goes back to the days when I was far younger and could only obtain the said 'dumpies' because they were cheaper and more available than my beloved Hinchliffe. When I had more cash I sold my Mini Figs and bought what I foolishly saw were superior sculpts.
It just shows how stupid young people are because I've re discovered the charm of the Mini Fig. Yes their horses have Kardishian issues, but the actual figures are very very nice with some lovely sculpting. [well in my eyes they do] So here we have the latest Mini Fig regiment, which I have painted as a 'Oxford regiment?'  I didnt have the heart to cut out the cast in pikes, but they dont look too ridiculous. I think the figures are second generation sculpts.


As stated several times now [ the price of being senile] that I am building my vision of how the ECW armies would look, ie inaccurate, pretty and frankly totally non historical [ Hollywood style] So I have picked cavalier types for the Royalists and better armed types for my Parliamentarian types. Even I know that Parliament was able to equip their men with better equipment and more armour should it be required. Plus I thought it would be easier to tell the two armies apart.




Since the introduction of the new Games Workshop contrast inks/paints I have been experimenting with them to see if I can utilise them and perhaps cut down on painting times. I think Im beginning to get the hang of how to use the ink/paints and find that certain shades are perfect for leather, wood and certain horse types. The key is the use of different colour base coats. For wood and horse shades I use a deep yellow which with the application of the ink/paint gives a lovely burnt umber effect very similar to the old oil colours. 
I like to have lots of standards and flags in my armies. The more colour the better is my motto. These Hinchliffe cavalry are perfect for a Parliamentarian 'trotter' regiment.



More of the David Crook additions, this time dismounted dragoons. These were from the Mini Fig Thirty Years War range, but I couldnt resist using them. Certainly too well equipped for the civil war but very dashing and cavalier looking. 


A troop of my fast diminishing stock of unpainted cavalier cavalry. I think I have enough for two regiments before I run out of figures. Hopefully the weather will now ease somewhat and allow me to crack on with the final part of the project especially as John and I have taken the first steps towards a new small project that will take some of my painting attention.




34 comments:

  1. The minifigs are a lovely size and proportion and you have done them proud, Interesting to see your comments on the ‘learning curve’ of using contrast paints and if they give an oil like effect to horses, then that sounds a winner. Are you using them as an ink on top of a standard acrylic block paint job - or just painting from the off with the contrast paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its strange how after rejecting some product for years one discovers that they were absolutely fine all the time.Re the contrast range. They are a different medium you cant call them inks because they are thicker than that but they are not really paint either. Ive used their skeleton one to use over white and cream. Im not totally happy with the result but I will keep trying because Im certain I can do better. There is an interesting flesh colour which is great over flesh. There are two colours called something 'fur' which is a dark oak like colour which is great for horses and especially for wood. And then there is a 'leather' one which is like a liquid burnt umber. To get a good effect I have undercoated my horses in various colours. Deep red, deep yellow and cream. The best results are with the deep yellow which if one uses the 'leather' give a burnt umber horse shade. Because Im using Hinchliffe horses in the main after the shade is applied I quickly clean my brush and wipe the excess off the flanks of the horse to lighten the shade. A bit like the old wipe on/ wipe off effect. The 'fur' colour is great over a coat of red especially the deeper reds. It provides a lovely rich effect. What I have discovered is that less is more. Also if the figure has deep cuts etc it is a better result. I like them to be honest although Im not certain they cut down the time that much but I do like to faff on.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Robbie, you are giving these a fairly thorough testing. Sound like they will settle down to become an addition to the painting regime and not a replacement.

      Delete
  2. Some wonderful looking and colourful ECW units, and nice to see a mix of manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, Attempting to keep to figures from the 1970's and 1980's has been an interesting trip down memory lane.

      Delete
  3. I always liked minifigs, probably because they were the first metal ECW figures I saw,they were so very grown up! They were also in the little black and white illustrations in the airfix ECW book. Lovely painting and lots of great looking figures,I am tempted a bit by the contrast paints,I'm just a bit tight!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of wargamers 'had' to use Mini Figs, they were a very productive company with ranges for every occasion Iain. Splash out on just one shade Iain, its worth the money especially the 'leather' shade.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, it would be even more nostalgic if you sold me that lovely Polish army.

      Delete
  5. Lovely figures (the MiniFigs too)! As much color as possible seems to be a good rule of thumb.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes,
      I know I lack the subtlety you use but I find the effect cheers me up.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work. I have a soft spot for Minifigs, they have classic toy soldier poses and an clean elegance. With proper care as you have shown, they paint up very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I had forgotten how nice they are to paint. Yes their horses can be an issue being so smooth but the figures are very nice and some are excellent.

      Delete
  7. I like Marmite and these figures are lovely. Keep them coming and by breath is bated as to what your new project will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Colin. Re the new project, Im a bit concerned that it is already starting to encroach on my ECW project. I've painted a few exploratory figures and that has got me a tad distracted.

      Delete
  8. My first ECW army was mostly Minifigs. They gave way to a mixture of Essex and Sussex Miniatures. Long gone they were finally succeeded by Wargames Foundry, Perry and Warlord. Mind you, no plastic tatt was included! I think your additions are in good company with the rest of the project! Lovely additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes David, Essex. God I loved their ranges when they first were released. Again I fell out of love with the figures. What a flighty bunch wargamers are.

      Delete
  9. Another fine batch of fresh recruits to your ever expanding ECW project. This project of yours must be immense by now. I like your Hollywood approach and the Minifigs fit right into that theme. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Im not certain about immense although I did give myself a shock the other day when I was lifting a few of the units out for a game. Im afraid I paint like I swim. Head down and just keep going.Ive realised the best way to stop is simply stop buying up cheap figures and paint what Ive already got. Fine words but naturally that will be ignored should I get the sniff of a bargain.

      Delete
  10. There is too much snobbery against the old figures, especially MinFigs. Long may they reign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im afraid it has always been there regarding Mini Figs and I am probably as big a culprit as others. Luckily I came to my senses and realised that its what brings a wargamer pleasure so it shouldnt matter what figures they are no matter that they might be 40+ years old.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, they do give me a nice feeling when Im painting them. Very strange. A bit like watching Sunderland fail at football.

      Delete
  12. Got to say I love Minifigs, their fantasy figures were the best ever produced, and the ECW chaps have loads of character. I'm glad they are still available (although rather pricey).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thats a real issue for me. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices that Dave Ryan has lamped on the ranges. Im very certain if he followed Ian Hinds far more sensible pricing system he would sell a lot more. So I keep trawling the internet hoping to pick up a few 'stumpies' at reasonable prices. I actually think its part of the fun.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil and so do I. I have managed to source a couple more infantry regiments and some odds and sods at a fair price, so there will be more soon.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Now daft lad and thanks for that. By the way are you bringing your posse down to Newark next week?

      Delete
  15. If you've seen my AWI collection you'll know I'm a Minifigs fan.. yours are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWI, now thats an idea. Its a Mini Fig range I never looked at, oh dear.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful to see the old Minifigs range used to such great effect. Like so many others, my first metal figures. Great additions to your ECW project 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame Derek Sharman for this, he seemed to have more of them than Hinchliffe so at least you could leave his shop with something like what you had originally wanted to buy.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating