Sunday 1 December 2019

Battleground 2019, the return?

Two years ago I think it was, John and I decided with heavy heart that we shouldn't put on any more games at wargames shows. We decided the effort was simply getting too much and it was time to accept that we were getting a bit past it.We wanted to just enjoy the shows as spectators and shoppers. It seemed a reasonable concept you would think.
A couple of months ago in a fit of wild enthusiasm I decided we had been premature in our retirement and  it would be a great idea to stage a game at Battleground and display my 'old school with a contemporary twist,' English Civil War armies.
  Leon, bless him, when contacted found space for us to return to the show although I got the impression it would be a struggle to squeeze another big table into the hall.
So early yesterday morning after scraping the frost off the car I took my collection down to Middlesbrough to set up.
 Battleground has come a long way from its original location in Stockton and now uses a well lit, easily accessible hall on the university campus. So with a free car park, well lit hall, good toilets [very important] and hot food literally outside the main entrance the Independent Wargames Group set up their 1642 game using figures designed in the 1970's and 1980's and painted to recreate the 'feeling' we used to enjoy when we first started on the long path to wargames goodness.
Leon has done a sterling job resurrecting the show and its becoming a great event to attend in the run up to Christmas. He has attempted to make the event more relevant to wargamers by introducing free entry, encouraging the smaller and unusual traders to attend and to host historic lectures that would interest the wargamer. The boy done good.
The show itself was very busy until the wargaming witching hour of 13.30hrs when things tend to tail off somewhat.Another idea Leon adopted is to close the show at 3.00pm which is a help to traders who have to load and travel to their homes get there in a reasonable time without letting the hosts down by packing up early.
                                   
So as a show it was the inevitable blur with welcome questions about the figures, 'can you still buy Hinchliffe?'   'Minifigs! they were my first metal figures'etc.
I would like to think it triggered a few good memories of when there were fewer choices but wargaming life seemed better. Of course thats nostalgia for you, the reality is the choices now can hurt your brain, damage the wallet but offer so much more.
Because of the game it was much more difficult to study the other games on offer. Colin of Carry on up the Dale fame naturally had a wargaming extravaganza resplendent with lovely banner and loads of Sikhs. The Westerhope posse were their annoying selves showing people their Little Big Horn game with flickering tepees! and cheeky rapport.
I still managed to spend a lot of money with not too much to show for the cost, well okay I did get a lot of hedges from The Last Valley, some lovely character pieces for the ECW from Stu of Colonel Bills fame and in the bring and buy I mysteriously ended up buying some lovely painted 1/32 medieval's from very talented guy from Stockton.
And to show people I am up with the kids I even bought a wonderful 3d created piece of terrain for my SPQR Britons.
And the aftermath???
On my way home, I began to think about the return of Muhammad Ali and his fight against Leon Spinks his ex sparring partner and protege. In that fight Ali was totally out boxed and towards the end Spinks could be seen refusing to punch his hero.
I felt like Ali, punch drunk and knackered.
So sat here typing and nursing a bad back and headache I've realised that maybe John and I have done our bit for Wargaming and deserve to hand the baton onto younger wargamers to display games that will hopefully inspire and enthuse people. Its very obvious that shopping and moaning about younger wargamers is the future. Still I needed to be certain............





What a crew, members of the Westerhope posse. The others were probably pillaging my table while I was taking this photograph.

29 comments:

  1. Robbie, you set a fab looking table even for an away game. Certainly an inspiration for others.

    I recall your declaration of giving up on game presentation at shows from a couple of years' ago. Good to see that one more try was given to make sure of your earlier decision. Besides, grousing about younger generations of wargamers can be a fulltime job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan Im afraid 'grousing' is becoming a full time job! To be honest I forgot just how much lugging figures about takes out of you. Worryingly Ive been thinking about returning to play soccer! Now that is a real worry, nothing like an old fool I think.

      Delete
  2. It was good to see you and John back and I share your view that this is and was an excellent show. Your ECW collection is great and very evocative of times gone by when we were all but young fresh faced lads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a very good memory. I cant remember ever being fresh faced.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a great game. Don’t knock whining about young people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Youre right its great to bitch about youth.

      Delete
  4. That's an exceptional ECW collection you have there. I forgot how superb Hinchliffe figures were. An inspirational game too! Hope you and John aren't hanging up the your demo game boots for good. Shows need games like yours.However I can understand the logistics of putting on a game of this size.Anyway, great to see you all yesterday, if briefly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis, I do love my ECW units, they just seem 'right' for the period even though they are clearly 'wrong' historically.

      Delete
  5. Forgot to add Battleground was a cracking good show as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good show Dnnis and is at a good time off the year, just before Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Well done! I'm proud of you carrying the banner into battle once again! Now, lie down and have a rest! Game looked wonderful and a good spend too. Certainly tops my £8 today at Wargamer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should have a swan song game Dave, though unlike Roddie and Johns splendid effort it may be more a dying swan game ;~)

      Delete
    2. Thanks David, Leon has done a great job of making the day very pleasant and he has clearly put some thought into what works and what doesnt. I would have loved to attend the talks, they were very popular. He took a riosk not charging an entry fee but it seems to have paid off by dragging in families. Why not it doesnt cost them and allows their partners to buy a few things.

      Delete
  7. A most splendid looking game Robbie and a great return to form.
    You don't really think the young ones can put on games like we used to?
    Maybe just donthe one a year keeps the juices flowing and a real purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different type of wargamers Graham with different interests. Games Workshop did a great job of capturing their interest and clearly keeping them tuned to large skirmish games and less large battles based on history.

      Delete
  8. A great looking game. I need to get to the Battleground show next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, I think you would enjoy the day, its a good venue and easy to find. Well for most unless you come from Westerhope, eh chaps.

      Delete
  9. But if pass the torch to the Young ones then it'll only be 4ft by 4ft at it's biggest :( Great effort Robbie and deserving of praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul good to see you again, look forward to bumping into you at other events.

      Delete
  10. Yep!-and I bet you haven't missed them yet!!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Your lads are getting very adept at 'lifting' things and handing them to a certain Fagan.

      Delete
  11. Great stuff guys, good to see the old school hichcliffe and mi if its on the table.

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. You do know in my world, Hinchliffe is becoming cutting edge. As for Mini Figs well it was a great rediscovery.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for coming along Robbie and there'll always be a space for you guys, whatever you decide to do in the future.

    Cheers,
    Leon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for squeezing us in Leon. Keep up the great work and stick with the talks if you can that is something clearly worth exploring more.

      Delete
  13. Robbie,If you want,I will take all of your photographs,for a small fee,of course,from now on(assuming you will be allowed into future Wargames Shows) so at least some of them will be in bloody focus!!
    johnc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sorry about that John, I really dont know how that happened. I blame my Box Brownie.

      Delete
  14. Great looking game, I thought you'd given it all up but it sounds like you haven't yet, lord make me virtuous, but not yet!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating