Sunday 15 December 2019

The Battle of Fontenoy by Charles Grant,circa 1964



As mentioned in my last post I have downloaded the article that Charles Grant submitted for the Wargamers Newsletter Special Issue 1964. It may be of interest to wargamers of a certain age and was created well before the release of Grants classic book on the subject. Im afraid time hasnt been totally kind to the article in that the ink has faded with age, hopefully it is still of use.













Its interesting that Charles Grant makes reference to the creation of his famous canister cone in this account.

Amongst my purchases I was also able to pick up this Wargamers Newsletter Yearbook 1966/1967. There is a another article contained in the issue by Charles Grant. This time it his refight of the Battle of Minden. Now I haven't read through the issue yet but I admit I bought the magazine when I saw Grant had written an article re the battle. I will reproduce it when I find some time. 



12 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your time and effort with this. This is wonderful! I look forward to combing through it.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like it Stokes. As Ive said I havent read the Minden article yet,but the actual magazine is in far better condition so would scan well.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of Roneo produced worksheets during my Probationary year as a new teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think the system Featherstone was using was much worse than that. Remember he was producing and printing the magazine himself and it ran at a loss for several years. We used to call that commitment and enthusiasm.

      Delete
  3. A real piece of wargaming history. Thanks so much for posting - a treat to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally worked out how to sign into blogger apart from deleting this post, doh!

      Thanks for the wonderful slice of history an excellent read.

      I got your parcel, I hope you got mine.

      May all your Christmas presents be wargame related.

      Willz.

      Delete
    2. Willz, forgive me butting in here but I wanted to warn you. Someone has contacted me using your email asking for 'help', in an obvious fishing email trying to get my bank details. They even used your usual sign off. I was fooled for about 20 seconds. Emailing you back separately just got me in touch with the same person. This was about a week ago.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Will, hope you sort out the hacker tit.

      Delete
    4. Cheers Keith,
      Got in via a Sky email even thought I checked via the correct sky phone number.

      Will.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating