Monday 30 December 2019

The Eve of New Years Eve.

 Well its the eve of News Years Eve and its about now I post my Independent Wargames Annual. Hopefully this year will be no different except it might be after the start of 2020 when I get around to posting the whole thing. Christmas was a busy time again which isnt a bad thing although young excited grandchildren can exhaust you. Parenthood is definitely a young persons game so God knows how Ronnie Wood manages. It perhaps explains why he is touring again with the Stones.
 Anyway I have completed my little painting exercise to sharpen my painting appetite and can now say the Lord of the Rings Chess set is complete....I managed to fit in a few hours painting between various festivities. I did enjoy the exercise, so much so I hope to locate another set to paint, except this time I will probably complete and sell the set on, depending on how it goes.
 Im now ready to go on to a couple of small painting projects after I bought some old Garrison SYW artillery crews and guns which will become battalion guns for my French army.They are more decorative than effective, but it adds to my army.
 I also picked up quite a number of painted Hinchliffe SYW Austro Hungarian grenadiers which will complete a unit that was too small for my armies. The actual small unit of grenadiers were bought from Ian Hinds and are beautiful Old School figures painted to a great standard. I think Ill find it hard to match the black lines created by the original owner. They are very nice figures and I 'had'? to have them.
 I was also lucky enough to trace a number of Garrison ECW figures which will be re painted and drafted into my armies. Garrison produced some lovely sculpts, well in my eyes they did and Im looking forward to painting them. So that is my short term plan for January but as of yet I still haven't decided what to do next.


                                 I did also manage to complete my 'henge' for SPQR.
   I also squeezed in a couple of preachers to inspire a couple of ECW units, +1 to morale.
  In between visiting my family I finally completed another unit of Romans and some slingers for SPQR. These were put aside but look okay now they have their shields.
 So there you have it. Not a very productive period, but Christmas never is and neither should it be really. Anyway a Happy New Year to all and hopefully you will find something to interest you when I post my Annual for 2019.



12 comments:

  1. Hi Robbie,a very healthy and happy new year to you and yours,from us all at Westerhope Wargames group.
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you and your posse John AND dont forget I WANT an invite the next time Charlie stages a wargame.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the painting of those chess pieces is very, very, very, very good.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, thats very kind. The sculpting on the pieces was very good.

      Delete
  3. Lovely figures and chess pieces! Happy New Year!

    Best REgards,

    Stokes

    P.S.
    You are correct. Parenthood definitely IS a young person's game. No question about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes,
      as for children, well the best of luck to anyone tackling that minefield.

      Delete
  4. Impressive work and splendid additions to your ongoing projects. All the very best for 2020, hope to see you out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David,
      hopefully we will see each other at York? or most likely Partizan. It would be nice to have a proper chat re wargaming.

      Delete
  5. Robbie,
    A most impressive chess set and not a bad productivity for the time of year.
    I remember painting 'hundreds' of the garrison ECW figures for a club project way back when. I always thought they were pretty good looking forward to seeing them
    All the best for 2020

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham,
      Given your wonderful new Saxons, it looks like the SYW will be back on the painting table.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating