Sunday 5 April 2020

A bit of forward planning?


From a bygone age, when I could fit into size 30 jeans, drink ten pints and walk a straight line. It was a re fight of the Battle Of Hanau from a show at Chester le Street. 
Well the sun is shining through my window which hides the fact we are still in lock-down. I hope everyone is staying sane and beavering away at this wonderful hobby which I still think is enjoying a bit of a golden age.
 Of course it is increasingly difficult to apply oneself to a painting project when there is no pressure to complete the unit you are currently working on.
 That was the beauty of wargames shows for me when I was actually staging games at the shows. It was a great incentive to hit the deadline, with some newly painted units completed for the big day.
 Sadly all 'big days' are on indefinite hold given the current crisis.
Most of the big wargames shows are postponed until 2021 and the ones that take place at the latter part of this year must be looking increasingly suspect and apart from Reading are the more modest shows.
 And yet...... A lot of solo wargames firms and I use the term lightly must be under intense pressure to keep going. I would argue that even the bigger ones must be suffering especially when our postal service is heading for a three day week which I predict to be announced early next week.
 So in an attempt to look at the potential positives wouldnt it be great if the wargames clubs and individuals  in the various regional areas of the UK  could put provisional plans together to stage wargames shows for the latter part of this year in anticipation of the enforced isolationism being lifted, which it will.
 I fully appreciate that hiring halls and venues is a big financial commitment, Im not talking about something the size of Salute, York or Partizan, more the size of a large community centre hall or the like.
 Given how quickly I am using up my store of paint, glue, bases and figures I expect to be scratching around for something to paint within a month. I suppose I could always take a brush to my garden shed after that but I class myself as better prepared than a lot of wargamers who actually have a life outside of wargaming and couldnt stockpile the necessary prior to the lock-down.
 By the summer I can see a lot of very desperate wargamers pining for some serious retail therapy and a fix of toys being pushed across a wargames table.
  I cant remember how many wargames shows are currently penciled in for the late summer, autumn time but Im certain its not enough to satisfy the demands of wargamers and certainly wont help a lot of the small traders who wont be booked in for these few remaining shows.  So perhaps its time for some forward planning from any would be wargaming entrepreneurs and anticipate the return to something like normality later this year.



19 comments:

  1. Strangely enough I was discussing painting our garden shed with Sue today. My entire Lead Pimple is now in one 4L RUB. They are all 28mm figures and all are whitetacked to their eventual bases. No more than three months at my steady rate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the weather David, I have the paint but no inclination. Maybe sometime this year.

      Delete
  2. I've enough unpainted lead to see me through 10 isolation's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youre just showing off Ray. Its not that I dont have the figures but the realisation that one can only field an army of such and such a size.

      Delete
  3. Yep, you are doing well of you can see the lowest strata of your lead mountain. Interested in the picture there... Is that a 2 handed sword on the club wall for punishing any rule bending gamers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was my clubhouse. Actually the image is from a wargames show from the 1980's based in a mock castle and yes its an old double-handed word.The castle is about 100+ years old.

      Delete
  4. Tearing through my plastic pile. Fortunately my lead like is rather more substantial and was sufficient to see me to retirement. Now, it might be just a couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont doubt it Paul. I see EBOR have a great offer on units at the moment, but I just cant face repainting a Malburian army.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully your prediction re the mail won't happen as that really will be a big nail in the coffin!, Leaving aside the stock 😀 I have plenty to keep me going until the end of the year and that doesn't include Star Wars Legion 🤣. It would be nice to see some smaller shows - a return to the old days 😀 I shall give our club members a shout and see if I can drum up,some enthusiasm- keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would keep an eye out Graham because I know there have been walkouts in the main sorting offices where the union has been raising HE issues and demanding a shorter working week As for shows, personally one persons loss is anothers opportunity and come the late summer wargames shows are few and far between and I cant see foreign holidays being allowed for a lot longer..

      Delete
  6. Robbie,remember a couple of years back,we organised(?) a fairly large game involving your club,Charlie's club and ours?-well I'm sure between us we could organise and enlarge a wargames "do" to suit local clubs,and dare I say traders?
    I'll start thinking on that.
    johnc(westerhope wargames group)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the wonderful day. I hadnt a clue about the rules but did enjoy being sat amongst the great and good of the wargaming world.The place you used was a lovely location. Learn how to use the e mailing system and get in touch because if two old farts cant put something together we arent trying. Good to see you've stopped collapsing everywhere and making a nuisance of yourself.

      Delete
    2. Robbie,I'll use the Yorkshire version,e-by gum mail!
      I can use these things,but don't want to-haven't even got a mobile phone,so you'll wait a long time to get an e-mail from me,but we'll keep in touch,and come up with something!
      johnc

      Delete
  7. Robbie you have never Drunk 10 pints unless someone else paid.
    10 Pints was just a Snek lifter to us Fusiliers.
    Anyway Joking aside you and yours stay safe and no doubt we will get together after all this crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've found me out. I learned about mine sweeping from an ex fusilier from Nottingham who had more cheek than Kim Kardashian's backside.

      Delete
  8. Very nostalgic photo capturing a bygone era of gaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christ dont say it like that, Im still alive, just.

      Delete
  9. I'm just a Southern Softie Robbie 4 pints was enough to see me off when I looked as young as in your photo. Readers might like to know small friendly non commercial wargame events still exist - Cotswold Wargames Day has been rescheduled for 18 October
    https://keefsblog.blogspot.com/2020/03/cotswold-wargaming-day-2020.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just about sink the same amount Chris but the next day is painful.I saw your Cotswold Day and thought it looked a fun affair. I actually have relations in the Cotswold's and would love a trip down to see them and of course visit the show.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating