Thursday 30 April 2020

People who influenced your wargaming. 2


 Like all young wargamers I was desperate to be part of the hobby but knew basically nothing. Magazines and my local library were a key source for me but in the late 1970's and 1980's wargames magazines didnt seem to last long. Strangely especially given my mania for collecting Wargamers Newsletters nowadays I knew nothing of Donald Featherstones actual magazine back then.
My local pet shop which seconded as a model shop did have the odd Miniature Warfare magazines but I couldnt afford to subscribe to the magazine. Once I had a job I would buy the odd Military Modelling and then the excellent Battle but they only offered small morsels of wargaming and I wanted more.
Then in 1983 this magazine appeared like a bolt of lightening. Even now I paw my way through this original issue to enjoy each image and article. So for me I would like to highlight the wonderful work Duncan Macfarlane did for wargaming.
  He was editor of this magazine for 48 information packed issues before he lost control of the magazine but I remember eagerly waiting for the release of each issue wanting to enjoy each  coloured photograph and dream of having massive armies like Peter Gilder, Phil Robinson, Mac Warren and other talented collectors who seemed to be centered around the Hull firmament. My favourite articles in this magazine were many and varied although I always enjoyed the poetic descriptions by Wally Hearl of various battles I knew nothing of, and then there was the most excellent Andy Callan and Gilder himself. The magazine seemed to be bursting with all sorts of wargaming goodness.

Duncan was not new to wargaming and also had the honour of being the first wargaming guinea pig to be seen on television fighting a wargame for the viewing public to watch. His appearance re fighting Edgehill for the legendary Battleground series whilst hardly riveting viewing for the general public but was jaw dropping for yours truly. 
He had also been a keen competition wargamer and a member of the Society of Ancients during the period when members included Peter Gilder, Tony Bath, Charles Grant and Ian Dickie. He clearly knew his stuff and was lucky enough to own ancient armies painted by some of the best in this country.


Whilst editor of Miniature Wargames I would bump into Duncan at various shows carrying his wares in a large holdall, willing to talk to any saddo like myself. It was Duncan that introduced me to the excellent MWAN magazine which he sold me in large numbers. Im embarrassed to say I was always badgering him to photograph my armies which he sensibly declined.
 I am probably wrong but I attribute the success of the Partizan show down to the knowledge that if one staged a wargame at the show it would inevitably appear in the magazine.
John and I finally managed only one image courtesy of Duncan, but even now I am proud as punch for having made the magazine albeit as a filler and not at Partizan.
 We also received our first acknowledgement of wargaming existence in an early issue of the magazine courtesy of a show review by Gary Norman. Fame at last.
 I once managed to get a few minutes with Duncan where he explained how he had been virtually press-ganged into becoming the editor of  Miniature Wargames by Peter Gilder. He was picked because he had once worked in a library, such was the professionalism of wargaming press back then.
After losing control the magazine Duncan produced the excellent Wagames Illustrated magazine  which for me was a great magazine but somehow lacked the life that had filled the early issues of the Miniature Wargames.
 Yes the images were still wonderful but somehow it wasnt the same. We all know where the magazines have progressed to nowadays and although I still collect them, the magic has simply gone, but that might be nostalgia spoiling that viewpoint.


  But in the period 1983 to 1987 Duncan and his magazine fueled my enthusiasm and gave me ideas probably way above my wargaming station as I struggled to balance a real life and a time consuming and expensive hobby.

 For anyone to edit a magazine it is clearly stressful work and I would imagine relying on wargamers for you content it must have been doubly stressful, a bit like herding cats I assume.
 But each month Miniature Wargames would appear crammed full of brilliant articles and images courtesy of Gilder.  So I would like to thank Duncan for all his efforts and all the pleasure he gave to me.

19 comments:

  1. An interesting choice for second place. I think I'd have to put Asquith before Duncan, although there is no denying his influence on our hobby. He published my first piece of writing after all, the Earl of Peterborough's campaign in Spain during the WSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David these suggestions arent in any order but merely random selections. I will come on to my top picks accordingly.Clearly Duncan recognised literary talent.

      Delete
  2. Loved those early magazines the photography was also inspired.

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Willie. I hope you are keeping the wargaming monk, Mr Jarvis busy.

      Delete
  3. We are clearly running in parallel. It has not been a week since I was perusing (yet again) the very same issue of MW you picture above. I keep a stack of the first two dozen dozen issues each of MW, Practical Wargamer, and Wargames Illustrated by the bed, of all places, within easy reach for late night rereading when Netflix movies/TV series finish, my wife drifts off, and I don't feel like reading an actual book. These magazines never fail to redeliver that certain something you refer you in your post. There is always something to revisit, reconsider, and re-ponder. Isn't it funny how formative impressions and experiences remain with us decades later? I'll second that Wargames Illustrated lost its way by the early 90s after the fist 25-30 issues. I let my subscription lapse by about 1991. The magazine just lost that initial spark very sadly. It could also be that was about the time adult life really kicked in in a major way for me (sadly), to the detriment of pleasurable pastimes like figure painting and wargaming for about 10-12 years.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Stokes that you and I have a great deal in common and if I was you I would be worried.Each night I will visit my magazine collection which I hate to admit is pretty large and pick a handful of wargames magazines to read in bed. Invariably they are vintage ones. At the moment it is the Airfix Magazine circa 1973 and Miniature Wargames issues 30-40. I just find them great reading and yes I always find something new to enjoy. I have been lucky as regards the work life balance and managed to get some wargaming input amongst real life. Now, well I am in lockdown and in retirement so time isnt an issue, just space and cash.

      Delete
  4. Robbie,
    Nice choice I remember that first magazine - collecting two copies of the first issue from the local paper shop and calling at my friend Marks (sadly no longer with us) to give him his copy and then sitting down for coffee where we both then enthused over the images and content I guess to me and my friends it was a great source of inspiration.
    I was fortunate to have met and crossed swords with Duncan on quite a few occasions through the Society of Ancients and went through to his house at Newark on a number of occasions for him to take photos of my figures etc. As you say his photos of the games at Partizan really lifted the show.
    I'm not quite as sad as you in taking magazines to bed ( I used to) I prefer now to sit in the leather chair with a wee dram in my study/loft looking through Miniature Warfare etc - all of Duncan's mags are now digital I'm afraid - a sacrifice to freeing up space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad? You cheeky bugger, yes Im in bed by 9.30pm but Im trying to be sensible. The production of MW was pretty life changing for me in that it provided some answers, a lot of questions and loads of inspiration. Obviously things have changed but hopefully the latest version has a similar effect on some young would be wargamer, but somehow I doubt it

      Delete
  5. Great post! You're absolutely right to single out Duncan here Robbie. Without those early magazines, many of us in the wargaming boom generation would not have received the inspiration required. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Duncan had a far bigger effect on the hobby reaching the high street than almost anyone else. And not only that, he is a thoroughly great bloke too. All the best. Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Phil. I dont think there are many wargamers who were prepared to take on the running of a wargames magazine back in the 1980's given the record of other failed enterprises.Duncan was a perfect choice, perhaps Peter Gilder knew something others didnt.And yes you're correct, Duncan is a thoroughly decent fella.

      Delete
  6. A brilliant choice. It was the pictures of the Gilder battlefields in those early years of MW that inspired me, and still do today. When I envision a wargame, it is that look that will always be what I want try and emulate. I’m not sure I’ll ever reach that ‘nirvana’ but I’m still having fun trying. Duncan is an unsung hero, but very important character in my wargamer life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of wargamers brought up on the early MW will be the same. Who wouldnt want to fight over beautiful terrain with masses of beautifully painted figures. Its the stuff of dreams.

      Delete
  7. Many of these names, magazines and books will be familiar to wargamers from the mid '70's onwards.
    My first exposure was through the classic Charge when I was about 9. It was until about 12 years later that I attendedn actual wargame.
    I have, and have had, books by most of these authors. I have two Bellona books by Terry Wise I got 2nd hand, Roman civil wars and 2nd Punic war. Also the ECW book which I used in creating my first ECW armies years ago. Great books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1970's and 1980's was a great time for wargamers. Books about how to actually enter the hobby and how to fight the game were great. I still re read these classics.

      Delete
  8. This great magazine was rarely seen in the US at the time, and like you at that time affording a subscription was out of the question at the time. I did get Don's Wargamer's Newsletter, The Courier, and MWAN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky enough to have all the MWANS and a lot of the Couriers, funnily enough thanks to Duncan.They were different types of wargaming magazines but I find them great reading. What they lacked was the colour images that Duncan supplied. Inspirational and cat nip for any would be wargamer.As for the Newsletters its taken me 35 years+ to track virtually all the issues and I love trawling through them.

      Delete
    2. W.r.t. Newsletters, are you aware of http://www.fourcats.co.uk/mags/ ?

      Delete
  9. I think the sentiments one feels towards old gaming magazines has much to do with rose-tinted glasses and a bout of nostalgia towards one's own youth ;-) I only started miniature wargaming as a Games Workshop afficionado during the late 80s, and have fond memories of the White Dwarfs of that period ;-)

    Nevertheless, I think that many hobby magazines go through an evolution: starting as almost a fanzine for the inner crowd, with a slight odour of an underground subculture; but then to become viable financial-wise, you have to evolve towards something more commercial that will attract more customers but alienate the hardcore fanbase.

    But anyway, I am building up my own collection of old wargaming magazines and it's one of the reasons I started my index of wargaming magazines.

    The old spirit is these days best found in Wargames Sodliers and Strategy. An excellent magazine, produced to modern standards, but which inspires me every time a new issue is delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not certain the MW is about nostalgia Phil. The magazine was revolutionary for would be wargamers because it was full of beautiful images of figures and also contained some great articles.It was inspirational. What it and WI have evolved into is something else. It is very professional and well produced, [Im talking about WI here] but I liken it to fruit that one buys in a supermarket. It looks great but is so bland it is meaningless. I still buy the magazines but thats because Im a loyal daft individual but frankly I rarely find anything of worth. As for WSS. I love this magazine but again found the original company produced the best. Still it is a great magazine and probably the one I would recommend to a new wargamer if I ever meet one again.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating