Monday 7 February 2022

Vapnartak 2022


 So yesterday I made the trek South to York to attend one of the highlights of my wargaming show year, Vapnartak. 

Concerned that with it being the first show of a post Covid environment John, Neil and I set off early and got a decent parking space near the show and also a nice warm foyer to stand in.The organisers acknowledging that given its previous success had changed the format considerably. No middle floor hosting their famous tabletop sale. No wargames on the lower floors and the number or traders being reduced, although that may have been down to certain companies simply not wanting to attend. A shame really. Anyway I can say the show was well spaced out and although there were a lot of people it was all very civilised and easy to move around in.

 The dealers were spread over the extra floor space and the limited number of games consigned to the third and fourth floors.It worked really well to be honest, but then Im easily pleased and not one of those people nervous about Covid. Ive had my jabs and recognise thats as good as it will get. Being virtually first through the doors I didnt witness the long, long queue that stretched well over a hundred yards but when most had got into the place it didnt seem crowded to me at all.

Yes there was a couple of pinch points near some of the very popular traders but the majority were fine. I got the impression that it had been worthwhile for the trade to attend and I know Treefellas and Last Valley virtually sold out by lunchtime. The show was more about showing that wargaming was back and I think it was a message that was understood. 

In an effort to downsize I have wanted to move on all my 6mm Napoleonic armies but because of Covid it had been a non starter, but the York show allowed me to sell my French and Austrians. To be very honest it was surprisingly emotional but having given away all my 6mm terrain boards I just knew it was the right thing to do. It was like losing a very close friend.

  Napoleonic's had always been my first interest and I know I will never paint up new armies especially as they would have to be 28mm. I just need to shift my Russian, Prussian, Swedish etc armies to complete the downsizing. I also sold all my 54mm painted medieval's which was a real shame as I had invested a lot of effort in painting them, but again they hadnt been used and probably never would be.

I did do some buying naturally.I needed? some Perry Scots ECW cavalry and a unit of Foundry renaissance pike although the pricing still smarts. 

The show for me however was more about meeting wargamers I hadnt seen for some time, and also discussing/boring new wargaming chums with various tales.[all true] I also finally met John Tilson a wargamer who had known Peter Gilder well and had wargamed with him and had also taken part in the Battleground series with Duncan Macfarlane. I intend to write up the meeting for my Gilder tribute. John very kindly put up with my inane gibbering, although I did have to buy the teas. 

So how was the show? Well the time seemed to fly which is always a good sign. I know John and Neil had really enjoyed it and for me I just enjoyed the whole vibe. Toy soldiers, wargamers and some retail therapy what was not to like.   I did take some images of the games but I dont think I did them justice so can only apologise for not publishing them.

 

Just to show I have been painting, here are some images of some Reaper figures I painted to stand around my WOR and renaissance games.They were a pleasure to paint even though a tad expensive.My latest Burgundian units will be shown on my Borgia site.
On the way down to York we were talking about the increased costs of selling stuff on E Bay and how expensive postal charges have become due to Covid. For me this is an opportunity for all wargames show organisers to exploit a gap in the market. Bring back tabletop and bring and buy sales at the shows. I know a lot of shows stopped doing sales, but given how many wargamers are of a certain age and will want to downsize somewhat ie me, and how many know how costly E Bay has become there is a definite gap in the market. So I hope as the shows return then Bring and Buys follow.  




   POSTSCRIPT; I was asked if I could post a few images from the show, so I have, these are the only ones that were fairly decent and do the games some justice.
Firstly the Lance and Longbow Society with an old school affair which I liked for so many reasons.

   


Ive always thought 2mm wargaming was a great idea and I thought the execution of the terrain was very good.It was an ancient battle between the Romans and e British and very nice to.


The Grimsby Club always produce  a quality game and I thought their terrain was excellent.









16 comments:

  1. I also made the trip south for the show. Luckily missed the queues when we arrived at 10.30. It was refreshing being able to move around the show with the extra spacing, avoiding backpacks etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was well thought through Neil. It would have been nice to have a tabletop sale but clearly that was a non starter. All in all a great day out.

      Delete
  2. You had a grand day by the sound of it! I hope to make Hammerhead next month 🤞 I do think you are over optimistic though on the return of Bring & Buy stands for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Optimistic me? David I listen to Leonard Cohen and my go to album is Scott Walker singing Jaques Brel. But with postal charges etc, there will definitely be a window of opportunity for shows that reopen. As for Hammerhead, Im looking forward to it and hopefully will be able to buy a few things.

      Delete
  3. Nice report but a shame no pics of any of the games as Mr Scott also failed to take any pics! I like the Reaper miniatures - I have a few too including the girl with the bucket of water - she is on the painting desk at the moment, patiently waiting. Reaper are expensive compared with most historicals but I guess they sell a lot less of them so need to make more profit per figure to make it viable. The quality can vary a bit too - I got some years ago that were a big disappointment but more recently I have always been happy with their quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the images, I will edit this post and put some up although they werent good. As for Reaper, I bought them on a whim and have enjoyed slapping paint on them, but yes they are expensive.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking bunch of civilians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, Ive quite a backlog on my table so hopefully I will get cracking.

      Delete
  5. Robbie,
    Glad you had a good and profitable day. It will be interesting to see how they take this show forward, will it be a return to same old or will they develop what worked well and what didn’t. Postal charges are crucifying especially overseas. Purchases from America etc are now pretty much a no no unless absolutely essential and likewise even from Europe the costs of duty and handling fees hurt. I haven’t sold on eBay for over a year, when I do sell I try to do so through Lead Adventure Forum and various Facebook groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its pretty crippling Graham. I sent some figures to Canada and the postage was more than the figures.As for shows, see you at Hammerhead?

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the post Robbie a good informative read.
    As to selling on Ebay I just sell to the UK now and offer free postage which seems to encourage people to buy.
    As Graham points out posting or buying from aboard is expensive, hopefully in the future prices may come down but its seems to me that various firms / governments way of increasing profits or taxes by stealth.
    Excellent blog Robbie, always a good read.
    Stay safe and happy gaming.

    Willz. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Will, I have a few bits for you when we finally meet up.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the report Robbie. I could have gone but stayed away as previous years have been rammed, making it very difficult and tiring to move around or even to get to some of the trade stands.

    In that respect, if that is sorted, I am quite happy for the Bring & Buy to be the casualty that helped free up the extra space. I wish I had gone now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest the York group had made it known they were reducing the number of traders and not having the bring and buy.The biggest crush was getting a bacon sandwich and a seat in the canteen but apart from that it was absolutely fine.

      Delete
  8. Classic steel case for your new vintage Android phone case
    Find our classic nano titanium by babyliss pro steel case for your new vintage titanium drill bits Android phone titanium mens rings case to customize your phone and tablet microtouch titanium gaming setup, or customize your babyliss pro nano titanium curling iron

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating