Tuesday 1 February 2022

Something old, something new.

Ive been dabbling a bit with some new 3D figures, this fantasy figure is again from Sundred Miniatures and Ive painted her/him?? as a Burgundian standard bearer. The resin figure was a joy to paint and didnt need undercoating as the paint adhered straight away. The detail is very good and the only complaint was that I managed to snap the flagpole whilst painting it, hence it looks a bit funny on the model. Personally I was impressed by the detail and as a result I've purchased a unit of Gendarmes for my Burgundians. The figures I chose are the nearest to historical figures I could find and Im hoping they are as good as this single figure. On my Borgia blog I have a couple of newly completed Burgundian units as my little project trundles along.Interesting times for all wargamers.





And now for something totally different, some Lamming Assyrian cavalry.I bought a few old Lamming figures that needed a complete repaint and I must admit I did enjoy redoing these figures for my Persian ancient army.Probably not too historical but near enough to satisfy me. 

 
Bill Lamming produced some lovely figures with separate heads, weapons etc and I did like painting them back in the day, many moons ago. I especially liked his medievals and landsknechts, happy days and these brought back some happy memories.  
This weekend is the York Show which has been changed to cater for any would be outbreaks of Covid. I must admit its come around quickly, only a two year wait but its always a good show so hopefully I will buy somethings I dont need and bump into people who will be desperate to leg it when they see me.

I read an interesting piece in the latest Wargames Illustrated about the Historicon show in the USA re how numbers were down by 50% and some of the gamemasters didnt have any wargamers to take part in their games.Ive often wondered about this American phenomena where wargamers travel to shows to play in games all day and night for several days. I understand why it happened given the huge distances between wargamers but Ive often thought I wouldnt fancy wargaming until the early hours. I need my beauty sleep. What I always wondered was if this could continue given how two day wargames shows in the UK have virtually gone the journey and wargamers are leaving by 2pm usually. Its a big commitment to book a hotel for a very long weekend and than participate in a series of battles using new rules and fighting strangers. It seemed to work but now? What with the spectre of Covid and people still unsure of how safe they are. Maybe things will pick up again, I hope so.


12 comments:

  1. Robbie,
    Very nicely done, there seems to be a lot of really nice resin printed pieces appearing in all scales for historical games. Yes they can be a bit brittle but just keep the dice to the dice tray.
    Enjoy York, I’m not going. Two reasons it’s my wife’s birthday weekend and I think that even with a few changes it has the potential to be more crowded than it usually is, which I find uncomfortable and it takes the edge off the show for me. I usually go and have a couple of coffees for an hour or so and let that initial rush settle. The American shows will be interesting a lot of gamers only go to the one show and as you say can travel a long way to do so. We are still spoilt for shows but it will be interesting to see what the bounce back is this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a shame Graham it w have been great to meet up. And there was I thinking you were a proper Smoggy who would have put their lass in her place and gone and done his thing.Mine will be pushing me out the door.

      Delete
  2. Robbie, your standard bearer is an impressive sight. Very colorful and a real attention-getter. I have yet to see any resin figures as I remain firmly in the metal camp with brief forays into plastic. Assyrian cavalry look good.

    Enjoy the show. The difference between UK and USA shows comes up semi-regularly in discussions with my UK friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be impressed by the quality of the figures Johnathan although they wont take heavy handling, which some wargamers are wont to do. I have always wanted to attend an American show, it always looked interesting although Im not certain about the late gaming sessions.

      Delete
  3. If she can't inspire your army to victory then nothing will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely figure.
    Wild Geese is exactly that isn't it? A group of gamers gathering to play games with new rules just without the traders. And I love it.
    I'm not going to York as I find the venue too cramped and is just a COVID incubator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul although I do worry a bit about your fear of the plague.I took a view that with my triple vaccination was as good as it will get. I fully expect a yearly dose from now on and I refuse to lose anymore of my life. But I can understand the caution so hopefully we will meet up again soon.

      Delete
  5. Most splendid additions there Robbie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the standard bearer - for my money it looks like a she but who knows? I have dabbled in a few 3D prints - I got some really nice WW2 Soviets females from a guy in France but others have not been quite as good - I suspect its mainly to do with the quality of the printer used to produce them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think its a she,but nowadays its anyones guess.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating