Tuesday 18 October 2022

A trip to Newark and other ephemera.

Before we go any further, as one can see this post is a little late. The opening image is from my favourite game staged at Partizan last weekend. The image is of the Allies marching towards their positions to advance into the maelstrom created by Marshal de Saxe at Fontenoy. I itched to have a command at this game. Its one I've never fought and always wanted to, a lovely inspirational game.
 
Although I had little on my shopping list, I did want a set of the new water features created by Martin of War Bases. For £10, you get five well produced features. I gloss varnished a couple and then put a little terrain and tufts around them to see what they looked like. They look pretty good and either way are good value. 
The free figure this year was Matilda, Queen of England, again I dashed the painting off because she was a cracking figure. She is perfect for my Lion Rampant armies. 



Again one of my purchases from Newark. This time some Crusader ecclesiastical figures from Perry.
                                     I wanted them for my Billhooks and Rampant armies.
The single figures will be added to some of my Rampant units to give them extra help when needing a decent dice score. Lovely figures to paint quickly.

John very kindly gave me some skirmish archers for Rampant which again painted up quickly.

And finally my Light Infantry for Rampant. Antediluvian Miniature lovelies. Not cheap, but very, very good figures. 


And now back to the actual show. Its a hard drive for me and to be honest isnt getting any easier, especially as Id been out the night before. So was it worth the effort?
Absolutely.
 For me its the best show in the country for quality games. The best show for facilities and the best show for inspiration. This one was a quality affair with a lot of very good games to view and drool over.
I bumped into the reprobates from Durham Wargames Group who put on the Battle of Hastings. Again a game I wanted to take part in, very nice.
And now some images from my favourite game, Fontenoy staged by the Extraordinary League of Kreigspiellers??? Most of the units were the old Minden Miniatures, now available from the USA, with a smattering of other ranges. All were beautifully painted.
Fontenoy is a hard battle for the allies but a one that poses lots of tactical problems for both sides.








You will notice a bit of a theme here as my next favourite game was another SYW affair. This time by Phil Olley. Again beautifully painted figures well presented.

My favourite unit of the day, these hussars were understated but top quality. 
Richard Clarke and his men were staging several of their games, showcasing their rules. Well staged games, by a very hardworking and knowledgeable group of wargamers. 
                           
And finally.... Steve Wood grinning like a loon and Andy Callan, who staged two games showcasing the very soon to be released Never Mind the Billhooks Deluxe.  Two very nice chaps.



10 comments:

  1. Robbie, glad the drive was worth it. I so much wanted to go just to see the Fontenoy game. I have to agree I think the Partizan show is currently the best show out there for quality and balance of traders, games etc. I will be there one way or the other next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Graham. Im certain I will see you at the show. So buckle down and look after yourself.

      Delete
  2. I have no idea how we missed one another Robbie! I do agree with your assessment of the show though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see you David, from afar? You were surrounded by autograph hunters I believe, or it could have been debt colectors.

      Delete
    2. "6/10 Tries Hard, But Could Do Better"

      Delete
  3. I wouldn’t exactly call Mindens “olde figures” 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jim, but sadly in this day and age, last week is seen as old.

      Delete
  4. It was a great show. I bought the Warbases ponds too. Good idea tarting them up like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some of your group Ray, I know its a long way but well worth the effort. Re the water, I just use pva, fine sand and tufts, it takes minimal effort.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing photos of your visit, very much appreciated.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating