Sunday 27 November 2022

Battleground, or how to stage a Wargames Show.

 As I stated I was attending the Battleground Wargames Show at Middlesbrough yesterday. Its probably my favourite wargames show that Ive been attending since it was first staged in a chapel in Stockton on Tees. The show has always been a friendly affair that signals that Christmas is coming for me. After the original show closed Leon from Pendragon Miniatures took on the responsibility of re-locating the event and basically restarting the whole show. He has done a wonderful job, that runs like clockwork and always includes new traders, different games and is located in a great location with free parking, easy access and of course ts free entry. 

Yesterday was the busiest Ive seen it, and continued all day.   Leon had invited 31 traders and apart from the usual big traders also introduced new ones with different wares to sell. 

And there is the Bring and Buy, or in my case the Bring and Give Away. John and I hired a table to sell off part of my burgeoning pile of wargaming ephemera. But as usual I ended giving some things away, simply because I didnt want to take them home, or in the case of the Westerhope Group, knowing how grim things are north of the Tyne, they need all the free help they can receive. Unfortunately as is the case I ended buying more stuff from the same bring and buy, but the offers were just too good to miss. 

           Andy Callan attempting to explain to a punter that the Deluxe rules dont cover the musket period.

Andy and his brother Ian were hosting a Never Mind the Billhooks Deluxe game and a bring and buy stall and very kindly alerted me to a gamer selling boxes of Wars of the Roses troops at ridiculously cheap prices. I managed to buy seven units of nicely painted figures. Did I need them? Of course not. Did I enjoy the thrill of reviewing them last night, damned right and I cant wait to re-base and touch them up.

Later in the day I also bought a few? Medieval Mini Figs that were very nicely painted by a gent who brings units every year that are used to practice his art skills. His 54mm are top quality.

The show is also a great opportunity to meet up with wargamers I only see rarely nowadays. So once we've discussed our latest ailments I do manage to talk about toys. Its a great way to spend a day.

And the games? There have always been some quality games on show and when John and I put on games, it was always a battle to out do the other gamers who would fight it out for the trophy. There no longer is a trophy but the games were very good.


The exiles from the Durham Wargames Club staged Pavia, using in the main Colin Ashston's big renaissance collection. There was some quality buildings that I would like to own. I do like to see big renaissance games and this had lots of colour.



I liked a smaller game based in the Holyland and I can only apologise for not having the name of the group.There were some very nice painted figures on the table.



A Lord of the Rings game using Dragon Rampant, an interesting idea that worked.

One can always rely on the gents from the Westerhope Group to stage something colourful and different. I loved the game which showed the British in India. The lads always have some nice relevant exhibits at their tables and this year included a standard and cannonballs.





And now a plea; Is there anyone that can give this homeless chap a home. He doesn't need much space, but he can be annoying. He answers to 'John', or 'Oi you cheeky beggar'.




I was very impressed by a very neat early World War Two game, great units and quality terrain.


The lads from one of the Tyne groups staged a very large Battle of Bautzen game.Lots and lots of figures spread over a very large table.15mm I think.





The Grimsby Wargames Club always deliver and their ACW wargame was up to the standard one expects. Lovely terrain and some brilliant vessels. Well done.






The members of the Newton Aycliffe group really pulled the stops out and staged a siege of Barnard Castle. The whole thing oozed top quality modelling and beautifully painted medieval figures. Can I say that the representation of the castle is pretty accurate, yes its now a ruin courtesy of the Civil War but a lot of hard work clearly went into making an accurate representation of what once stood near the river.




Gerry Miller, top painter and group member attempting to sell more of his figures to some naive punters.


So thanks again Leon for all the hardwork your little team put into the show. The whole event was exactly how a show should be run. Great value, easy transportation access, free parking and decent but great value food with lots of trade and lots of decent games
. Basically everything a wargames show should be about.  

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Robbie for the show report, very much appreciated.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Will, hopefully I'll see you at next years weekender.

      Delete
  2. Good to see your report-out from the show. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie, great report and I fully agree with all your comments, whilst there’s a place for large shows this years Battleground was as close to my idea of perfect. Great to see you even if you did convince me to part with some cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just great to see you Graham,and good to see you finding bargains.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know its a long way for you Southerners to travel to but its a good show.

      Delete
  5. Great report of what does sound like a great show! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you would enjoy the day David, its got everything for the wargamer who has everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking show, Pavia looks especially good, it's a bit far for me from the effete south east!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Iain although there are roads and railways now, but of course there is also the smog to contend with.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the positive report Robbie and good to see you at the weekend. Say hi to John for me too, I saw him briefly across the room but didn't get chance to chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Leon and thanks again for all the hardwork, given the success you've achieved you may have to start looking for a bigger venue.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating