Monday 21 November 2022

The End of the Campaigning Season.

This weekend marks the end of the wargaming season for me. The Battleground show in Middlesbrough was always the final show Id attend. Ive always enjoyed the event and when Leon from Pendraken took it over it has returned to the brilliant event it used to be. Its free.The parking is free and the day is a great way to bump into old faces and generally have a good day talking toys. So yes I'll be there and hopefully giving away stuff at the Bring and Buy to new wantabee wargamers.

Without singing their praises too much, I love the original Bretonnian archers. They are easy to paint but were well sculptured and perfect for additional Billhooks and Lion Rampant units. So I sourced a few more. These are for Billhooks and are John Neville's men. 
                     The spare ones are perfect skirmishers for my Burgundian army. Ive been experimenting with a new way to paint white, so one can see the white is a blue tinge. Years ago I used a similar shade for my Aztecs. I liked it then and like it now.


Finally my contingent of heavy cavalry for Lion Rampant. These are The Bishop of Durham's men, and because Ive got a lot of spare figures I will be painting up a larger contingent. 



My first three completed figures from the box of Dungeons and Lasers figures I bought at Fiasco. For anyone interested in the box, they contain 62 figures made from a decent quality plastic. One will need to read the instructions first because they will need gluing up. The casting quality is very high and once you understand the instructions, they're a bit like Ikea by the way, even a Gibbon like me could manage to put them together neatly.

 I really like the figures, even the small number of fantasy ones. They also come with some first rate bases, again well sculptured and in high quality plastic.



This one, has a small gold coin in his hand, whilst he has a leather purse in the other. 



Also from Leeds, I bought an undercoated First Corps elephant, minus any crew or tusks. It only cost £3.00 so was happy with the purchase. Anyway Ive now supplied the model with teeth and crew, albeit a tad anachronistic but Im happy with them, which is all that counts.  

So I now have three pachyderms that just need a pile of sarrisa bearing troops to go with them.I have the figures, unpainted but not the inclination to glue them up yet.  


 

6 comments:

  1. Splendid additions to your collections there Robbie! Have a grand day at Battleground too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, you really should make the trip Nortrh, I think you'll enjoy the day.

      Delete
  2. Great additions. I concur on the Bretonian archers, great figures. The Bishop of Durham's cavalry is superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, the older Bretonnian range contains some brilliant figures.

      Delete
  3. Only one word for it-BRILLIANT!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating