Saturday 2 May 2020

A bit of this and a bit of that.

Well its a right old mishmash of figures that I have been painting these last few days. These lovely Victrix Numidian cavalry have been sat for several months in my spares box. I bought them for my SPQR units but couldn't face putting them together at the time.
One of the very few advantages of the lock-down has been the willingness to take on jobs one would normally put off. This unit is one such job. There will eventually be 12 riders and Victrix should be applauded for selling such a great looking set of figures. I painted these up between painting my garden shed and power washing one of the patios, they were a welcome relief.
Im pleased they are nearly completed.

                                      


Naturally I have returned to the ECW and managed to scrape together enough Garrison, Hinchliffe and old Mini Figs to make up a Royalist regiment.I really wish I had more Garrison figures because they have a real charm, so anyway my final Royalist infantry regiment, well until I locate some more Garrison figures.They represent a conglomerate of two Royalist regiments that were too small to act as separate units, so really very appropriate.


Stuart of Colonel Bill's fame sold me some lovely ECW personalities that he had commissioned when the World was still open.These are top class figures with some real character. The design is quality. I must confess I have a lot of little dioramas, single figures etc for each period in my collection.I find they keep me sharp as regards painting and make a nice change from painting several uniformed chaps that can become a little boring sometimes.



     I especially like this poor woman with a scolds mask on, those were the days.


                    I really enjoyed painting this tinker figure selling his wares from a large tray.


Stu is selling some really interesting figures that are perfect to adorn solo, skirmish and large wargames. Definitely recommended.
Finally this ACW Limber. I must confess I purchased this from E Bay ready painted but in need of some love and attention. The wargamer who originally put this Hinchliffe piece together had gone to the trouble of creating paper reins etc for the limber. They needed refurbishing but again lock-down time has allowed me to take the trouble to do it justice. Its a lovely piece and a credit to Frank Hinchliffe and Peter Gilder.
So these are my latest offerings but unfortunately I need? to get back to painting my fence!


20 comments:

  1. Lock down has proven a very productive time for you! So many fine additions to your collections. I especially like your Numidian cavalry and limber and team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Numidians were a pleasure to paint once I could be bothered to put them together.Victrix make some lovely figures.

      Delete
  2. Lovely oddlot of figures. Love the old school ECW regiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, when I started on the ECW project it was to re create what I knew as a young wargamer.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work on a diverse group of figures and ranges. The Numidians are particularly lovely. I recently put together a set of Victrix EIR cavalry. Wasn't too difficult,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a good company and I am looking forward to their Persian infantry, they should be very interesting.

      Delete
  4. That's a right royal mix up you've got there! I do like the Col Bill civvis. I have the village set undercoated and ready to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Ray, Im trying to not start a new army until I am back gaming with humans. Stuart has some lovely figures and are well worth a punt.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, they are quality sculpts and easy to paint.

      Delete
  6. Your output is both impressive and at the same time daunting. But, it's always good to see what you have accomplished. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, Like you Im just pottering about doing units to add to existing armies. It keeps me busy and has to be better than watching another crap comedian on Dave.

      Delete
  7. Robbie,when this madness is over,I might be persuaded to let you have two regiments(badly painted by your standards,but I'm sure you could re-paint them!) of Garrison figures,one Parliamentarians the other Royalists.
    Keep safe,and Charlie is ok-doing well,but bored!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im a bit concerned about what persuaded means. Usually its a euphemism for something bad.As for Charlie, better bored than very ill.

      Delete
    2. Robbie,you can have them for free!! and yes the "old boy" is good,being looked after by his group as well as the staff where he lives.
      johnc

      Delete
    3. Thats great to hear about Charlie, I hope they are spoiling him. Talking of spoiling, free? Am I talking to the real John Coutts?

      Delete
  8. A very broad variety of types and eras both, but surely all very welcome additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to vary painting to keep me interested and plus I enjoy each type of figures different painting problems.

      Delete
  9. Robbie
    Nice to see you still have an eclectic mix of projects.
    Have you visited John Tunstill site https://www.soldierssoldiers.com/item-category/wargame-figures/
    He often has classic figures at not badvprices

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating