Wednesday 13 May 2020

People who influenced your wargaming 3.

 It was inevitable that I would select Charles Grant for my 'people who influenced my wargaming' posts. When I was struggling to understand what wargaming was exactly about in the late 1960's and early 1970's I managed to buy a copy of the Military Modelling magazine which contained an article written by some wargamer called Charles Grant concerning how to fight a Napoleonic Wargame. I was hooked from the onset as each month this man produced pages of information concerning the rules for fighting such a wargame and illustrated by black and white images of wonderful terrain and figures by someone called Peter Gilder.
 In the same magazine it was mentioned that Charles Grant had written a book simply titled  The Wargame and rushing to my library I ordered the said tome. I dont think Im colouring the memory too much when I finally obtained the book and found I couldnt put it down. I knew little of the period wargamed by Charles and his son but the whole account of fighting with imaginary Seven Years War armies captured my imagination like no other book. The sight of a purpose built table fielding large numbers of wargames figures and wonderful cavalry literally blew me away.

 Even now some fifty! years on I still paw over the book enjoying the images and wonderful writing of how to fight a large wargame. What dreams I had imagining owning such a wargames table and figures and back then I was desperate to command a regiment of Arqubussiers de Garssin, clearly a favourite of Charles Grant.
 I finally achieved this ambition some 35 years later when I finally bought the unit sculpted by Eureka Miniatures..I still think the original Spencer Smith plastcs were better than my metal figures.
 The rules themselves I realised would never be suitable for me, simply because back then I had neither the money or the space to create such a eye catching spectacle, but they were the ideal I aspired to for many many years.
 What I discovered was the enthusiasm that coursed through the writing in all of Charles Grant's books and what was very clear was the amount of knowledge involved in the writing. He didnt provide a scholarly lesson in military history but one knew the man had a deep knowledge of the period he was describing and had clearly researched the subject when producing his rules. It was using his list of references that I was able to read around the subject and understand more about the warfare being described by him. I now own all of the books listed by Charles Grant in the Wargame and the information contained in these books is still very relevant.
 I am lucky enough to own all the books he wrote and most of the articles he also wrote for the various wargames and military modelling magazines. All of them are an enjoyable experience and provide any novice wargamer with the information they may need to fight a period covered in the books.


 So for my third and one of my most important choices for influencing my wargaming I would like to thank the late Charles Grant again for all his endeavors and steering this novice onto the true path to wargaming heaven. I know we wont see his like again in wargaming.

14 comments:

  1. Hard to disagree on Grant's influence on we older chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that David. I think Grant was a greater influence on me than Donald Featherstone. Its probably heresy to say that but The Wargame was just a wonderful book for an impressionable young wargamer.

      Delete
  2. I am well aware of Grant, but aside from the two excellent scenario books (one if not both by his son), in the US we had little exposure to him. i couldn't afford the British glossies back then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Peter, my exposure to Grant was not until much later in my wargaming adventure. Availability or at least my access to his works was unknown in the USA in the early 70s.

      While Grant was certainly a pillar in the hobby and I have all of his books now, my in-print start to "formal" miniatures wargaming was with McCoy's Wargamer's Digest.

      I pulled Grant's "Ancient Battles for Wargamers" off the shelf last night as a refresher. Good stuff!

      Delete
    2. Thats a real shame even though I think some American wargamers would struggle with the depth of research Charles Grant used for his articles and books.The Airfix and Military Modelling magazines were more a British phenomena but contained a great series of Napoleonic articles and rules by Charles Grant. I do have a few Wargamers Digests, but find the Courier and MWAN far better, but thats not to denigrate the Digest although now having a few Scruby digests there is no comparison. Jack Scruby was a giant in promoting wargames in the US and probably the UK.

      Delete
  3. Robbie,
    I went through all the same emotions as you and bought my copy of The Wargame from the library during one of their book sales for 0.75p.
    As you know I'm fortunate enough to game with Charles' son - C.S.Grant and I think it's fair to say he continues to display his fathers enthusiasm for the hobby and knowledge of the period. It is infectious to say the least.
    I doubt my figure range would be where it is now without his support.
    An excellent choice and I believe the Ancient Wargame has just been reprinted by Caliver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a lucky so and so Graham, wargaming with Charles Junior. Just remember if you ever need an extra player Im your man AND I will be on my best behaviour.

      Delete
    2. Robbie I will remind him I promise

      Delete
  4. One of my earliest books. I was given mine as Christmas present by my father in 1971. I still the use the rules today.

    I first came across Charles Grant in an article he wrote in Miniature Warfare on the 50% rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a great present Mark you lucky thing.

      Delete
  5. Although I was aware of The Wargame (it was advertised in Miniature Warfare) for some reason I never read a copy back in the day - and to my shame still haven't! I think this was because I was most heavily influenced by John Tunstill via his magazines and the various London Wargames Section rule sets. I did get a copy of Napoleonic Wargaming and the photos in that were a big influence on me although I never liked the look of the rules to be honest. That said there is no doubt what a massive influence on the hobby he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heretic! I must have been one of the last people to have sat down and watched Game of Thrones and discovered just what a brilliant programme had been created. I would expect a similar reaction from yourself if you read the book. Even if you dont wargame the period the book is a perfect example of how wargaming should be conducted and how fun it can be.

      Delete
  6. Robbie, although i am a lot younger than you.....the Wargame was THE book on wargaming when i was a schoolboy...borrowed endlessly from the library. Now, with typical nostalgia I own my own copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been reading through your lists and remember most of these book. I had some in my old collection which i now wish I had kept, and some I got from the library. Great trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating