Wednesday 6 January 2010

Battle of Mollwitz 10th April 1749

I am currently preparing a refight of the Battle of Mollwitz for the weekend of the 30th January,2010.
Although I use rules designed by John for the Seven Years War, I was invited by Durham Wargames Group to bring along our armies to have a game using the new Blackpowder Rules.
Just before Christmas I fought an ACW battle using these rules,and I did actually enjoy the experience. If anyone has used the Warmaster rules system then these rules are very easy to follow.
To be fair I probably enjoyed it more because I actually won which can be a bit of a novelty.
Anyway,back to Mollwitz,the battle does pose problems for the Austrian players as they are outnumbered and outgunned.Still life would be pretty dull if things were always fair.
The game is geared for six commands,three per side.I have taken the old Charles Grant book [The Wargame] as a basis for the orders of battle.Grant has his detractors,but I would still argue his research was very good.The Prussian cavalry on the day performed very badly and Frederick showed his true colours by legging it from the battlefield before his infantry won the day for him.So it can be argued that the Prussian cavalry will have to be downgraded,additionally their respective brigadiers will also be poor.Likewise the Austrian infantry will have to suffer a penalty and be lumbered with a poor brigadier rating.
So really both sides have problems.I only hope the snow finally stops before the end of January.In my next post I will record the number of units etc I intend to use in the game.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome paint job on those figures. What scale are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog and become a follower. Keep up the good work.
    I'll soon link you into my "inspirition" section on my blog

    Pjotr
    http://nyudrevchronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very inspiring blog which was highlighted by Stokes Schwartz on his Stollen blog.I've become a follower too.
    I remember the Independent Wargames Group at the Durham show at Vane Tempest Hall.Does the June show still happen?.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating