Thursday 14 January 2010

Wargames Magazines

I think its fair to say that most wargamers can be pretty anal.
God knows my wife thinks I am.One the many pleasures that wargaming affords me,is the ability to go to bed early and,tuck in, and proceed to read my collection of wargames magazines.I am currently working my way through the excellent MWAN,as edited by Hal Thinglum.
Hal handed the magazine on to other people over a year ago,and I think it became defunct. When Hal had control it was a great mix of rule ideas and general chit chat.The big thing was enthusiasm,which is important in any thriving hobby,and for some strange reason I always feel American wargamers are filled with it.We British seem to have adopted a more laid back approach,this is my own opinion,so I am happy to be convinced otherwise.
I unfortunately dont have a complete collection [just about 80 or so] which does drive me a bit nuts,as I am a completeist [read saddo]
Which then got me thinking to the best wargames magazines I have read/owned.
Here is my list,starting at my least favourite;
10] Slingshot [but only the early years,as I love to read the debates/arguements over the rules and of course the Rhomphia scandal]
9] The Arquebusier [ again the early years,especially the Andrew Murdin articles on the Italian wars,great to use in a refight ]
8] Military Modelling,especially the Battle supplement years.
AdditionallyCharles Grants Napoleonic wargame rules were excellent,especially when illustrated by the Gilder Waterloo terrain
7] Wargames Newsletter,you could always rely on Donald Featherstone to write an angry editorial,which I found thought provoking.
6] Wargames illustrated,again the DM years,until the last few issues,when I felt Duncan had lost interest.Great photographs,little of substance.
5] Miniature Wargames[again the early DM. years,the photographs of Peter Gilder's figures and my personal favourite,Doug Mason were really inspiring.Remember the Zastrow Cuirassiers.
4] Wargames,Soldiers and Strategy,a good informative magazine.
3] MWAN,as for the reasons stated earlier, Hal and his readership were really keen wargamers.
2]Practical Wargamer,which surprised me initially until I thought about the great cross section of articles edited by Stuart Asquith,who should be applauded for his efforts.
## 1] The Battle magazine which I am pleased to say I have a full collection of.
The Battle was a good cross section of information and ideas,I loved the Charles Grant series on Napoleonic personalities, and the visit to the SELWG with the 'famous' photograph of Bill Brewer holding up a wonderfully painted Polish Lancer,a great figure painter.
Anyway this is my first list.Discuss..................

5 comments:

  1. I'd suggest Lone Warrior during the 1980s. Packed full of practical ideas and inspiration it had a similar feel to MWAN, but with a tad less 'fluff' (that's me speaking as a MWANer, and fluff contributer - Hal had a lot of pages to fill). Definitely worth picking up back issues if you see them. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not seen or read MWAN but I'd agree with all of your list except the placement of Wargamers newsletter - definitely a top 3 I think.... in my view/opinion only of course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with most of that except I do have a soft spot for Arquebusier and found MWAN a biut Quirky and odd - that does not mean bad mind.
    Were I not in the business I'd have little time for the modern Glossies- although Andrew Hubback at Miniature Wagames is making a Valiant effort and is worth your time.
    I have the first dozen or so of Battlegames and sorry its simply a 1970s rehash been there, done that.
    Andy OGUK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would recommend the inclusion of "Gorget & Sash", the journal of the Early Modern Warfare Society as well. This was an outstanding magazine in its day! They do have a web site now with a few "teaser" articles on it from the magazine that are still excellent.

    http://xenophongroup.com/EMW/EMW.htm

    And I believe that you can still get some back issues. About two years ago I was able to get the entire collection, with two issues photocopied, at a reasonable cost.

    Bill
    Sir William the Aged
    warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much appreciate your kind words regarding MWAN! If you let me know which issues you are missing, I will go through a box of "extras" and see if I have any of them.
    I share your love of the SYW and Hinchliffe SYW figures. I have been putting together a project of Hinchliffe SYW and AWI for the last four to five years and have accumulated several thousand of them. Now I just need to organize and get them painted!
    Your blog looks very interesting. I just ran across it tonight and will have a good time going through it.
    Thank you again for your kindness -
    Kindest regards - Hal Thinglum (halthinglum@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating